The Smoky Mountains have been a prized destination in the Southeastern United States for more than just their breathtaking beauty. The Appalachian landscape has long been the site of vacations and summer homes, as they are the ideal place to unwind from your hectic lives and remember who you are in the context of the humbling surroundings.
Aside from their beauty, Smoky Mountains attractions have been a large draw to the area for decades, inviting everyone from the romance seeking honeymooners, to the kid toting family vacations. No matter what stage of life you are in you will surely find entertainment among the myriad Smoky Mountains attractions waiting for you in the Gatlinburg, Tennessee area.
8 Must-See Smoky Mountains Attractions
- Chasten Creek Cascade Hiking Trail – Hiking is one of the main Smoky Mountains attractions, as there are probably thousands of miles of trails in the surrounding National parks and state forests. This 3.6 mile round trip trail is a fairly easy romp in the woods, and only 25 miles from Gatlinburg!
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
If you’re a sucker for the world under the sea, you’ll love this epic display of life in the sea. Walk through an aquarium tunnel, oggle the penguins, or catch one of the many entertaining and educational shows.
- Five Oaks Riding Stables – Another way to explore the vast wilderness that is the Smoky Mountains in on horseback. Whether you’ve been riding your whole life or this will be your first time, the friendly and experienced guides at Five Oaks Riding Stables will be happy to lead you out for a beautiful trail ride to enjoy some beautiful Smoky Mountains attractions.
- Lumberjack Feud – If a live show is your ideal when considering which Smoky Mountains attractions to enjoy while in the area, the Lumberjack Feud is a great option! Not only is it wildly entertaining, but the show will give you an idea for the area’s history and heritage, displaying many of the area’s age old traditions.
- Titanic Museum – The world’s largest Titanic Museum is right here in the Smokies. Centrally located in Pigeon Forge, TN, this is a convenient option among Smoky Mountains attractions that will not only share some of the ship’s most intriguing facts, but they also host wonderful events!
- Pigeon Forge Gem Mine – With its own flume area, visitors to the Pigeon Forge Gem Mine can actually dig up their own gems and have their booty cut, polished and mounted into jewelry!
- Brushy Mountain Hiking Trail – Another favorite trail among Smoky Mountains attractions, this is a longer hike for more ambitious foresters. Clocking in at 11.7 miles, this roundtrip trail gains about 3,000 feet in elevation, making for a strenuous hike.
- Foxfire Mountain Adventure Park – If ziplining throughout the Appalachian forests’ canopies has been a longtime dream, then Foxfire Mountain is your spot! If you’re feeling very daring, go for Goliath, the highest zipline in the Smokies!
All of these Smoky Mountains attractions are worth indulging on your trip, so make sure you give yourself enough time to thoroughly dig into all the great things to do here!