Gatlinburg is full of great family attractions, including the weird and memorable Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Not only does this strange world of collections have the typical odditorium full of life’s oddities, but it is also connected to another great place to check out with the littles ones – the Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies.
Full of live shows, educational events, and beautiful exhibits to explore, the Aquarium of the Smokies is just waiting for a day of fun activities. Whether you’re trying to kill a rainy day, or just need a break from exploring the area’s great outdoors, don’t miss a chance to visit this underwater world!
Here are some of the things to check out when you visit the Aquarium of the Smokies.
- Live Shows – Scheduled throughout each day are numerous live shows including underwater dives in one of their large tanks with their sharks, stingrays and coral reefs. Each class is designed to teach spectators about these specific species and habitats. The Mermaid Dive is always a fun one for the wee ones to imagine life under water, and the Penguin Feeding is similarly a crowd pleaser. The Marine Science Class is the perfect way to learn about the oceans and their amazing inhabitants.
- Penguin Encounter – Take the chance to meet a penguin up close and personal and learn from one of the aquarium’s professionals about these adorable creatures and even get the chance to pet one! You can check out the live penguin cam on the website too if you’re itching to get a preview of one of the most popular exhibits.
- Splash With Stingrays – Come to Touch-A-Ray Bay where you can get in the water with the stingrays in a behind the scenes tour of these creatures and their environment. Be sure to have your bathingsuit, though the aquarium will provide a towel.
- Behind the Scenes – If you have a particular interest in marine biology and the life of aquarium animals, sign up for a behind the scenes tour to see the guts of this mystical world. Among the many control rooms you will have the chance to understand how everything is regulated and monitored to ensure that these animals and happy and healthy.
- All-In-One Aquarium Experience Day – If you are looking for an all-inclusive day-long adventure here at the Aquarium of the Smokies, considering the All-In-One Aquarium Experience Day as the perfect way to see as much as possible while also saving money! All of the activities above can be included in this day of fun!
If you are planning your trip to the Smoky Mountains, be sure to have the Aquarium of the Smokies on your list of possible things to do while here. There will inevitably be some need for indoor time, whether to get out of bad weather, or simply to take a break from the sun, and the Aquarium is the perfect place to do both. Gatlinburg is the perfect place for a family vacation!